Friday, June 19, 2009

Airport

I'm about to go to velo shop to pick up a bike box and pack up the bike. Alaska/Horizon says it needs to be shorter than 63 inches and lighter than 50 to check as regular luggage without an oversize/overweight charge. I think I'll have to put the racks and fenders in another box with the wheels, then distribute my personal effects among the two so that they're both exactly 50 pounds. I'm not exactly thrilled by the challenge.

On the other hand, I am excited to be using public transit to get to the airport. Google maps tells me it can be done in 52 minutes and cost $2.30 (vs. $7.48 driving!).

Sorry for the ugly screen capture. I blame Microsoft.

I'll walk five minutes to the bus stop, ride the 70 bus for ten, wait another ten, then transfer to the MAX light rail Red Line, which takes 24 minutes to get to PDX from the Lloyd center station.

It's all figured out, thanks to Google maps' "by public transit" option. It even factors in the three-minute walk from the rail station to the terminal. I'll be championing a social program, and I don't have to sit in traffic or ask a friend for a ride, which is good, because I don't think I know anybody with a car in this town.

No comments:

Post a Comment